When The Law Is Tough, You Want Us At Your Table

The link between trauma and birth injuries

On Behalf of | Jun 21, 2023 | Birth Injuries

When people consider of the negative consequences of a birth injury, they often think first of the physical impacts on the mother and child. However, mental health can often also take a toll in these circumstances. The trauma that can come from a negative birth experience can have long-lasting effects for those involved, particularly the birthing person. Here are some of the symptoms that people in Illinois may experience if they have birth trauma following a birth injury: 

  • Flashbacks: Flashbacks, also known as intrusive memories, can be highly distracting and distressing. Not only are these intrusive memories difficult to deal with by themselves, but unhealthy behaviors can emerge to distract oneself from these unwelcome thoughts. For some, trauma can alternatively result in loss of memories, as people attempt to block out certain events from their minds. 
  • Avoidance and fears: People who have experienced trauma often avoid places, people, or things that remind them of the event. For those who were traumatized during birth, this can mean avoiding the hospital or healthcare scenarios, which can be particularly impactful for their future health. 
  • Anxiety and/or depression: Changes to mood or behavior often follow a trauma. People may become hypervigilant, exceedingly negative, or have other difficult feelings. This can be very difficult to deal with, especially in the already challenging postpartum period. 

In the state of Illinois, individuals and families do have legal options following a birth injury. A medical malpractice lawsuit can be filed to seek damages. For those who experience Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or similar psychological issues resulting from a birth injury, there may be an opportunity to seek restitution for losses related to mental health challenges. Individuals who have questions about how their birth injury and related trauma could be dealt with legally should contact an experienced medical malpractice lawyer.